Our Nelson Bay Platinum Dental team provides pain-free root canal treatments
Why do I need a root canal?
Root canal treatment (otherwise known as root canal therapy or endodontic treatment) involves removal and replacement of the injured or infected nerve of the tooth. Damage to the nerve can be caused by trauma either through a physical accident, deep decay, cracks or prolonged broken-down fillings. This may or may not cause discomfort, though leaving such a tooth untreated can result in abscess development and potential loss of the tooth.
What does treatment involve?
- The infected nerve is removed (under local anaesthetic) and the root canals are cleaned with an anti-bacterial solution.
- The cleaned root canals are filled with material to seal the tooth and stop bacteria accessing the canal.
- A permanent filling or crown is placed over the tooth to protect the canal and to
- restore the tooth’s shape and functionality.
How long will it take?
- Multiple visits are needed depending on which tooth is being treated.
- Appointments are normally spaced approximately a week apart and between these, the tooth is temporarily restored.
Does it hurt?
Root canals are not as drastic as you may think. The dentist uses a local anaesthetic to numb the tooth so you will be comfortable throughout the procedure.